Sunday, October 21, 2007

How to Halloween




Freakfest is in a week.

Halloween is a week and one half.

Do you have your costume yet?

Ive been busy collecting a supply of newspaper, packaging tape, and a two-ton roll of silver mylar. Can you guess what my costume is? .... Leftovers in a Tinfoil Swan. I've got a solid start, but I ran out of tape about an hour ago. Construction will resume tomorrow.

I give credit to my friend Shelby for thinking up the Tinfoil Swan. But if you don't have a Shelby in your social circle, I would suggest you head over to Saint Vincent De Paul. Plan on digging if you go to Willy Street. The one in Stoughton is an untapped resource. We went on Saturday to put together an 80's outfit. My roomate and her boyfriend, along with another couple, went as the "Dick in a Box" skit from SNL.


Katie bought a dress, earrings, and a silk rose as a prop for $16. We spent over $10 so we got a free hat. She chose a sombrero.

Mallat Pharmacy on Monroe St. is a local favorite. I drive past it on my way to work on the west side, and usually there is some character jiving on the sidewalk.

I recommend shopping goodwill as well. At least with St. Vinny's and Goodwill, your purchase will help the community.

3 comments:

Brett Mohns said...

For the last like.. 8 years I've been a 70's hippie every year (Which just consists of me putting on a tie-dye headband). This year though I'm actually looking to do something more... thought out? This definitely gives me some ideas on where to go for ideas. Thanks!

Jen Johnson said...

Speaking for all Madisonites, thank you for your yokel knowledge. I love that stuff!

Also, I like how unpredictable your posts are yet they stick to the idea...it's like a little present. And thanks for spreading the word on "Vincent's"!

Maggie Moo said...

What a fun blog article! Made me really smile, with memories of Halloweens past when we went all out on costumes to party all night.

Probably my best costume ever was a full-body Gumby, made from 1/4 foam, hot glued and painted. I won a contest with that one. The spray-painted outline of Gumby lasted on the sidewalk for years. LOL