Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cool Front

I am not talking about the latest wave of cold, actually seasonable October temperatures.

Thursday night I made it over to the Brink Lounge on East Washington to see a show by Cool Front, my friend's dad's band. They are usually listed as "Cool Front featuring Jon French." Jon French, the drummer who is second to none, was rumored to be once approached by John Lennon to pound his drums for a recording. Wether or not the rumors are true, a night of Cool Front accompanied by a lime spiked gin and tonic was truly a treat.

They are a blues/ funk/ soul cover band who peppers in a few originals to their sets. I recognized the covers, and couldn't help but jive a little in my seat. They put their own spin on the songs. Shelby (my friend and the lead singer's daughter) unexpecedtly sang for a set. I've seen the play once before, and each time is a little different. Influences are Albert King, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Meters, Jack Bruce.

The lead singer and guitar is Randy Kisling. Jeff Helmuth, bass and backing vocals. Jon French, drums, percussion, lead and backing vocals. Three guys, big sound. Visit their myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/coolfrontband

1 comment:

Maggie Moo said...

That sounds like a band I would really like! I'll have to check them out.